Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: break through
- breakthru (US, nonstandard)
breakthrough (not comparable)
- Characterized by major progress or overcoming some obstacle.
- a breakthrough technological advance
characterized by major progress
breakthrough (plural breakthroughs)
- (military) An advance through and past enemy lines.
- Any major progress; such as a great innovation or discovery that overcomes a significant obstacle.
- (sports) The penetration of the opposition defence
- 2011 September 29, Jon Smith, “Tottenham 3 - 1 Shamrock Rovers”, in BBC Sport:
- But with the lively Dos Santos pulling the strings behind strikers Pavlyuchenko and Defoe, Spurs controlled the first half without finding the breakthrough their dominance deserved.
- (construction) The penetration of a separating wall or the remaining distance to an adjacent hollow (a crosscut in mining) or between two parts of a tunnel build from both ends; knockthrough.
(sports) penetration of the opposition defence