Jump to navigation Jump to search
cafard (plural cafards)
- Depression; melancholy.
- 1918, Elizabeth Frazer, Old glory and Verdun (page 169)
- That's the worst trouble with the soldiers in the trenches — nothing to do. It gives them the cafards, the black butterflies, the blue devils, the jimjams, the hump.
- 1957, Lawrence Durrell, Justine:
- At such times when the cafard of the city seized her, I was at my wits' end to devise a means of rousing her.
- (by extension) tattletale, informant, rat
- (entomology) cockroach
- (familiar) depression, melancholy