Jump to navigation Jump to search
clusterfuck (plural clusterfucks)
- (slang, vulgar) A chaotic situation where everything seems to go wrong, often caused by communication failure, a complex environment, or incompetence.
- 1989: P. J. O'Rourke, Holidays in Hell p. 216
- "Mongolian Cluster Fuck" is the technical term journalists use for a preplanned, wholly scripted, news-free event.
- 1994, James O'Barr, Alex Proyas, The Crow:
- A simple sweep-and-clear turned into a total clusterfuck: T-Bird, trying to explain to Eric how the situation escalated on Devil's Night […]
- 1995, John Barnes, Mother of Storms:
- Please note also my request that henceforth I wish to be reminded of the possibility of a clusterfuck in any contingency plan or operations proposal […]
- 2004, Jon Stewart, America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide To Democracy Inaction:
- […] and you will still only begin to get a sense of the constitutionally mandated clusterfuck that is the modern presidency.
- 2005, Charles W. Sasser, Patton's Panthers: The African-American 761st Tank Battalion in World War II:
- It was a clusterfuck, a deadly clusterfuck. When the doughs finally got off the ground in some numbers and charged into the woods, the Krauts broke contact […]
- 2008, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Burn After Reading, IMDB tt0887883
- [CIA-Superior:] Okay. Okay. If he wakes up we'll worry about it then. Jesus, what a clusterfuck.
- 2013: Barbara Kruger: What a ridiculous clusterfuck of totally uncool jokers. I make my work about this kind of sadly foolish farce. I’m waiting for all of them to sue me for copyright infringement in response to the Supreme v Married To The Mob battle
- car crash (chiefly UK)
- Charlie Foxtrot
- comedy of errors
- goat rope
- gong show
- trainwreck (chiefly US)
to make a total mess of