Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (eye dialect, AAVE): e'rythin', e'rythang, e'rything, ev'ryting, ev'rythang, ev'ythang, ev'rything, ev'ythin', ev'ything, eve'ything, errythin,
- (eye dialect, Caribbean): everytin', everyting
- (eye dialect, Southern US): everytang
- (obsolete): every thing, evrything, evrythin
- (literally) All the things under discussion.
- 1913, Joseph C. Lincoln, chapter 4, in Mr. Pratt's Patients:
- I told him about everything I could think of; and what I couldn't think of he did. He asked about six questions during my yarn, but every question had a point to it. At the end he bowed and thanked me once more. As a thanker he was main-truck high; I never see anybody so polite.
- I checked the list again and everything is done.
- Thank you for everything you've done for us.
- (colloquial, hyperbolic) Many or most things.
- 1859, Charles Dickens, The Haunted House:
- Then, I was sent to a great, cold, bare, school of big boys; where everything to eat and wear was thick and clumpy, without being enough […]
- A:What do you want to do at the amusement park?
- I did everything today - washed the dishes, cut the lawn, did the laundry.
- (colloquial) A state of well-being (from all parts of the whole).
- She wasn't feeling well this morning but now everything is fine.
- Since the company lost its best customer everything has gotten worse.
- (colloquial) Considerable effort.
- It took everything in me to resist the temptation to skip work on my birthday.
- (colloquial) The most important thing.
- I can't believe I made it in time - timing is everything!
- call someone everything but a child of God
- chips with everything
- everything and the kitchen sink
- everything bagel
- everything but the kitchen sink
- everything else
- everything happens for a reason
- everything including the kitchen sink
- everything in the garden is rosy
- everything is everything
- everything is rosy in the garden
- everything old is new again
- everything one touches turns to gold
- everything one touches turns to shit
- everything under the sun
- how's everything
- if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail
- know everything
- leave everything on the road
- talk about everything under the sun
- talk everything
- theory of everything
- there is a time and place for everything
- timing is everything
all the things
many or most things
state of well-being