Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Cooper
- A craftsman who makes and repairs barrels and similar wooden vessels such as casks, buckets and tubs.
- 1851 November 14, Herman Melville, chapter 5, in Moby-Dick; or, The Whale, 1st American edition, New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers; London: Richard Bentley, OCLC 57395299:
- They were nearly all whalemen; chief mates, and second mates, and third mates, and sea carpenters, and sea coopers, and sea blacksmiths, and harpooneers, and ship keepers; a brown and brawny company, with bosky beards; an unshorn, shaggy set, all wearing monkey jackets for morning gowns.
- (obsolete) A drink of half stout and half porter.
- (now rare) To make and repair barrels etc.
cooper (plural coopers)
- Alternative form of