Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
cresset (plural cressets)
- A metal cup, suspended from a pole and filled with burning pitch etc; once used as portable illumination.
- Starry lamps and blazing cressets, fed / With naphtha and asphaltus.
- As a cresset true that darts its length / Of beamy lustre from a tower of strength.
- (coopering) A small furnace or iron cage to hold fire for charring the inside of a cask, and making the staves flexible.
- We reached the lofty turret's base, our eyes / its height ascended, where we marked uphung / two cressets and another saw from far
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Knight to this entry?)