Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /bɝnɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /bɜːnɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)nɪŋ
- So hot as to seem to burn (something).
- the burning sun
- Feeling very hot.
- burning skin
- Feeling great passion.
- her burning heart
- Consuming; intense; inflaming; exciting; vehement; powerful.
- burning zeal
- Being keenly discussed.
- a burning question; a burning issue
so hot as to seem to burn (something)
feeling very hot
feeling great passion
burning (plural burnings)
- The act by which something burns or is burned.
- 1828, Timothy Flint, The Western Monthly Review, volume 1, page 403:
- It gives a fine delineation of the burnings of shame, disappointed ambition, and vengeance […]
- 1850, The Edinburgh Review, Or Critical Journal (volume 91, page 93)
- The propriety of the dissolution, too, was speedily seen in the improved state of the public peace: for twelve years we hear little of Orange riots, and nothing of such burnings and wreckings as those of Maghera, Maghery, and Annahagh.
- A fire.
- The burnings continued all day.