- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈkjuː.bɪt/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (US) enPR: kyo͞o'bĭt, IPA(key): /ˈkju.bɪt/
- Rhymes: -uːbɪt
- Homophone: qubit
cubit (plural cubits)
- The distance from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger used as an informal unit of length.
- (historical) Any of various units of length approximating this distance, usually around 35–60 cm.
- (anatomy, archaic) Synonym of , the bone of the human forearm.
In English, most commonly encountered in biblical Hebrew measures based on the shorter of the two Egyptian cubits, although the term is also used broadly for other units between the length of a foot and a yard. These may be clarified with a preceding adjective: Greek cubit, Roman cubit, etc.
- (unit of length): ell (now properly a separate unit)
- arshin, Russian cubit
- codo, Spanish cubit
- covado, Portuguese cubit
- dira (modern Middle Eastern contexts)
- royal cubit (ancient Egypt)
- to pinch (to squeeze a small amount of skin)
- Alternative form of