Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To hear a conversation one is not intended to hear; to listen in.
- I hope nobody was eavesdropping on our conversation last night, since it got so personal.
To eavesdrop usually implies the listener is purposefully trying to hear the conversation of others. To overhear is more often accidental.
- (hear conversation one is not intended to hear): overhear
to hear a conversation one is not intended to hear
eavesdrop (plural eavesdrops)
- The dripping of rain from the eaves of a house
- The space around a house on which such water drips
- A concealed aperture through which an occupant of a building can surreptitiously listen to people talking at an entrance to the building
- The act of intentionally hearing a conversation not intended to be heard
space around a house on which such water drips