Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- epidemick (obsolete)
epidemic (plural epidemics)
- A widespread disease that affects many individuals in a population.
- (epidemiology) An occurrence of a disease or disorder in a population at a frequency higher than that expected in a given time period.
occurrence of such disease
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Like or having to do with an epidemic; widespread
- Epidemic hysteria occurred upon the incumbent’s reelection.
- 1852, Annals of influenza or epidemic catarrhal fever in Great Britain, page 76:
- [In] May, there was, at London and in its neighbourhood, a disease very epidemic, though not fatal, which had some time before been very prevalent both in Italy and Germany.
- 2003, James C. Howell, Preventing & Reducing Juvenile Delinquency: A Comprehensive Framework, SAGE Publications, ISBN 978-0-7619-2509-5, page 19:
- This proportion increased about 5% from 1988 to 1992—hardly a change of epidemic proportions.
2013, Frederick Allen, A Decent, Orderly Lynching: The Montana Vigilantes, page 8:
- This was the stagecoach holdup, and while these encounters were not as epidemic as we like to remember, nonetheless there were numerous bands of "road agents" who lay by the roadside in wait for passengers.
like an epidemic