Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Furlough
- Hyphenation: fur‧lough
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈfɜː(ɹ).ləʊ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈfɝ.loʊ/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)ləʊ
- A leave of absence or vacation.
- (US) especially one granted to a member of the armed forces, or to a prisoner.
- (Britain) especially one granted to a missionary.
- The documents authorizing such leave.
- A period of unpaid time off, used by an employer to reduce costs.
- For quotations using this term, see Citations:furlough.
leave of absence
period of unpaid time off used by an employer to reduce costs
- (transitive) To grant a furlough to (someone).
- (transitive) To have (an employee) not work in order to reduce costs; to send (someone) on furlough.
to bar (an employee) from working