Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: gäsp
gasp (plural gasps)
- A short, sudden intake of breath.
- The audience gave a gasp of astonishment
- (Britain, slang): A draw or drag on a cigarette (or gasper).
- I'm popping out for a gasp.
A short, sudden intake of breath
A draw or drag on a cigarette (or gasper)
- (intransitive) To draw in the breath suddenly, as if from a shock.
- The audience gasped as the magician disappeared.
- (intransitive) To breathe laboriously or convulsively.
- We were all gasping when we reached the summit.
- She gasps and struggles hard for life.
- (transitive) To speak in a breathless manner.
- The old man gasped his last few words.
- To pant with eagerness; to show vehement desire.
- I'm gasping for a cup of tea.
- Quenching the gasping furrows' thirst with rain.
to draw in the breath suddenly
to breathe laboriously or convulsively
- (humorous) The sound of a gasp.
- Gasp! What will happen next?