give a shit
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (vulgar, chiefly in negative constructions) To care what someone else thinks or does, particularly in relation to what they think or say about the speaker.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:care
- You're going to get me fired? I don't give a shit!
- 1982, Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe and Everything, page 114:
- "Do it badly," said the man, "who cares? Who gives a shit?"
- 1997, Carlin, George, “Hitchhiking Fun”, in Brain Droppings, New York: Hyperion Books, →ISBN, LCCN 96-52373, OCLC 36084460, OL 26335012M, page 222:
- There are some people who still hitchhike, although not as many as before. A lot of folks gave the practice up after being buried in shallow graves near the side of the road. But here's some fun you can have in case you still like to get out and hoist a thumb.[...]Or, when the guy stops, don't say anything; just jump in and sit down. When he says, "Where you going?" say, "I don't give a shit. Let's just ride around. I'm off till Thursday." Then make a lot of motor noises with your mouth.
- Used primarily in negative or interrogative contexts, as "Do you think I give a shit?"; in other words, this is usually a negative polarity item.
- Used to express indifference or disregard for the attitudes or acts of others.
to (not) care