Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: hear‧say
- Information that was heard by one person about another that cannot be adequately substantiated.
- (law) Evidence based on the reports of others rather than on personal knowledge, which is normally inadmissible because it was not made under oath.
- (law) An out-of-court statement offered in court for the truth of the matter asserted, which is normally inadmissible because it is not subject to cross-examination unless the hearsay statement falls under one of a number of exceptions.
information that was heard by one person about another
(law) evidence based on the reports of others rather than on personal knowledge
(law) an out-of-court statement offered in court for the truth of the matter asserted
hearsay (not comparable)
- (law) that is related to, contains, or tells hearsay
- The testimony of this hearsay witness is not an evidence.