Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɒbəl
hobble (plural hobbles) (usually in plural)
- Short straps tied between the legs of unfenced horses, allowing them to wander short distances but preventing them from running off.
- An unsteady, off-balance step.
- tether (rope)
Short straps tied between the legs of unfenced horses
- To fetter by tying the legs; to restrict (a horse) with hobbles.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Charles Dickens to this entry?)
- To walk lame, or unevenly.
- The friar was hobbling the same way too.
- (figuratively) To move roughly or irregularly.
- The hobbling versification, the mean diction.
- To perplex; to embarrass.
To walk unevenly