Possibly onomatopoeia in imitation of the sound produced by the stringed instrument.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɜː.diˌɡɜː.di/, /ˌhɜː.diˈɡɜː.di/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈhɝː.diˌɡɝː.di/, /ˌhɝː.diˈɡɝː.di/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (US) (file)
hurdy-gurdy (not comparable)
- (humorous) Sounding like the Swedish language.
hurdy-gurdy (plural hurdy-gurdies)
- (music) A stringed instrument that produces a droning sound by turning a handle that connects to a wheel that rubs against a rosined string, with a keyboard also used to alter the pitch of the string.
- (music) Synonym of
- (US, California) A water wheel with radial buckets, driven by the impact of a jet.
- wheel fiddle (the stringed instrument)
barrel organ — see barrel organ