See also: Winch
winch (plural winches)
- A machine consisting of a drum on an axle, a friction brake or ratchet and pawl, and a crank handle or prime mover (often an electric or hydraulic motor), with or without gearing, to give increased mechanical advantage when hauling on a rope or cable.
- (nautical) A hoisting machine used for loading or discharging cargo, or for hauling in lines. (FM 55-501).
- A wince (machine used in dyeing or steeping cloth).
- A kick, as of an animal, from impatience or uneasiness.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shelton to this entry?)
- To use a winch
- Winch in those sails, lad!
use a winch