Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
cable (plural cables)
- (material) A long object used to make a physical connection.
- A strong, large-diameter wire or rope, or something resembling such a rope.
- An assembly of two or more cable-laid ropes.
- An assembly of two or more wires, used for electrical power or data circuits; one or more and/or the whole may be insulated.
- (nautical) A heavy rope or chain of at least 10 inches thick, as used to moor or anchor a ship.
- (communications) A system for transmitting television or Internet services over a network of coaxial or fibreoptic cables.
- I tried to watch the movie last night but my cable was out.
2014 March 15, “Turn it off”, in The Economist, volume 410, number 8878:
- If the takeover is approved, Comcast would control 20 of the top 25 cable markets, […]. Antitrust officials will need to consider Comcast’s status as a monopsony (a buyer with disproportionate power), when it comes to negotiations with programmers, whose channels it pays to carry.
- Short for cable television, broadcast over the above network, not by antenna.
- A telegram, notably when sent by (submarine) telegraph cable.
- (nautical) A unit of length equal to one tenth of a nautical mile.
- (finance) The currency pair British Pound against United States Dollar.
- (architecture) A moulding, shaft of a column, or any other member of convex, rounded section, made to resemble the spiral twist of a rope.
- (nautical rope) hawser (thinner)
Terms derived from cable
large wire, rope
assembly of wires for electricity
heavy rope or chain as used for mooring
communications system with coaxial or fiber optic
TV broadcast over cable network
nautical unit of length
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To provide with cable(s)
- (transitive) To fasten (as if) with cable(s)
- (transitive) To wrap wires to form a cable
- (transitive) To send a telegram by cable
- (intransitive) To communicate by cable
- (architecture, transitive) To ornament with cabling.
provide with cable(s)
communicate by cable(s)
- (Balearic) IPA(key): /ˈka.blə/
- (Central) IPA(key): /ˈka.blə/
- (Valencian) IPA(key): /ˈka.ble/
- Rhymes: -aβle
cable m (plural cables)
cable m (plural cables)