- 1 English
- 2 Japanese
- 3 Mandarin
- 4 Tagalog
- 5 Vietnamese
sao (plural saos)
- Any marine annelid of the genus Hyalinæcia, especially H. tubicola of Europe, which inhabits a transparent movable tube resembling a quill in color and texture.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for sao in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
- Rōmaji transcription of
- English transcriptions of Mandarin speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Mandarin language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [saːw˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [ʂaːw˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [ʂaːw˧˧] ~ [saːw˧˧]
- Sao nó bảo không đến? ― Why did he say he wouldn’t come?
|Laurence Thompson (1965), Vietnamese Grammar|
|Unspecified||Close to the
đ- (first register)
n- (second register)
b- (first register)
‘to whatever extent’
‘to this extent’
‘to that extent’
s- (first register)
v- (second register)
|Nguyễn Phú Phong (1992), “Vietnamese Demonstratives Revisited”|
- star (luminous celestial body)
- toán sao
- an "asterisked" math problem (marked with an asterisk); a difficult math problem