Jump to navigation Jump to search
asterisk (plural asterisks)
- The symbol *.
- 1754, Thomas Edwards, “Canon XVII”, in The Canons of Criticiſm […] , C. Bathurſt, page 195:
- He is in the right to put the Aſteriſks, not the Words into the text; becauſe They do indeed give us [notice, that there is in Them] as much additional meaning, as there would be in thoſe words which they ſo properly repreſent.
- Something in the shape of or resembling the asterisk symbol.
- (sports, US) A blemish in an otherwise outstanding achievement.
- They came into the tournament highly ranked, but with a little bit of an asterisk as their last two wins had been unconvincing.
- (symbol): star
symbol used to highlight words or sentences
- asterisk in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- asterisk in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
Declension of asterisk
|Declension of asterisk|