Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ʍɒtˈɛvə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /wʌtˈɛvɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛvə(r)
- (colloquial) Unexceptional or unimportant; blah.
- (postpositive) At all, absolutely, whatsoever.
- There is no point whatever in going on with this discussion.
- No matter which; for any
- Whatever choice you make, there will be consequences.
- (relative) Anything that.
- Whatever you say is fine with me.
- 1734, Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
- And, spite of pride, in erring reason's spite, One truth is clear, whatever is, is right.
- 1992, Rudolf M. Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, page viii
- Whatever utility the work may have outside of its stated boundaries will be largely because of such a nonprovincial approach.
2013 September-October, Henry Petroski, “The Evolution of Eyeglasses”, in American Scientist:
- The ability of a segment of a glass sphere to magnify whatever is placed before it was known around the year 1000, when the spherical segment was called a reading stone, essentially what today we might term a frameless magnifying glass or plain glass paperweight.
no matter which; for any
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (colloquial, dismissive) A holophrastic expression used discourteously to indicate that the speaker does not consider the matter worthy of further discussion.
- For the last time, brush your teeth! – Whatever!
- Tone of voice is particularly important here in playing up or playing down the dismissive quality of the word.
indicating the speaker does not care what someone says
- Anything; used to indicate that the speaker does not care about options.
- I'll do whatever I can.
- Do you want Chinese or Mexican for lunch today? — Whatever.
Most common English words before 1923: George · influence · March · #668: whatever · reach · secret · showed