Jump to navigation Jump to search
- whereever (obsolete)
- (General American) IPA(key): /(h)wɛɹˈɛvɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /wɛəˈɹɛvə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛvə(ɹ)
wherever (not comparable)
- (interrogative) Where ever; an emphatic form of where.
- Wherever have you been all my life?
- (informal) In, at or to any place that one likes or chooses.
- I don't care what you do with it; just put it wherever.
- Where do you want to have lunch? — Wherever; I don't mind.
- (fused relative) The place (no matter where) in, at or to which.
- He's back from wherever he's been hiding.
- Go home to wherever you belong.
- Used emphatically, wherever may be two words (where ever) when used in questions, though the single word is more common, especially in US usage.
- everwhere (US, dialectal, Appalachia)
emphatic form of "where"
- Regardless of the place in, at or to which.
- Wherever you go, I'll find you.
- In, at or to any place (that); anywhere.
- You can sit wherever you like.
- In, at or to all places or situations (that); everywhere.
- Add quotations wherever they are needed.
- I see mistakes wherever I look.
- Our charity has limited funds, but we help wherever we can.
- 1918, W[illiam] B[abington] Maxwell, chapter XXIII, in The Mirror and the Lamp, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, OCLC 4293071:
- If the afternoon was fine they strolled together in the park, very slowly, and with pauses to draw breath wherever the ground sloped upward. The slightest effort made the patient cough.
- Used to show that one does not know where someone or something is located.
- She lives in Puddletown, wherever that is.
in any place, anywhere
in all places, everywhere
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- thereabout, thereafter, thereagainst, thereat, thereby, therefor, therefore, therefrom, therein, thereinafter, thereof, thereon, thereto, theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, thereupon, therewith, therewithal
- hereabout, hereafter, hereat, hereby, herein, hereinafter, hereinbefore, hereinto, hereof, hereon, hereto, heretofore, hereunto, hereunder, hereupon, herewith
- whereabouts, whereas, whereafter, whereat, whereby, wherefore, wherefrom, wherein, whereinto, whereof, whereon, whereto, whereunder, whereupon, wherever, wherewith, wherewithal