Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle English therfore, therfor, tharfore, thorfore, equivalent to there (pronomial adverb) + for. Compare Saterland Frisian deerfoar, Dutch daarvoor, German dafür, Danish and Norwegian derfor, Swedish därför.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈðɛəfɔː/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈðɛəɹfɔɹ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: there‧fore
- Homophone: therefor (second syllable stressed)
therefore (not comparable)
- (conjunctive) For that or this purpose, referring to something previously stated.
- I have married a wife, and therefore I can not come.
- Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
- (conjunctive) Consequently, by or in consequence of that or this cause; referring to something previously stated.
- Traditional values will always have a place, therefore they will never lose relevance.
- (Can we date this quote?), Spectator
- He blushes; therefore he is guilty.
- (for that purpose): so, thus, to that end, to this end
- (consequently): hence, then, thus, accordingly, as a result, ∴ (math); See also Thesaurus:therefore
for that or this reason; for that
consequently; by consequence
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (‘here-’ words) here; hereabout, hereabouts, hereafter, hereat, herebefore, hereby, herefore, herefrom, herein, hereinafter, hereinbefore, hereinto, hereof, hereon, hereto, heretofore, hereunder, hereunto, hereupon, herewith, herewithal
- (‘there-’ words) there; thereabout, thereabouts, thereafter, thereagain, thereagainst, thereamong, therearound, thereas, thereat, therebefore, therebeside, thereby, therefore, therefrom, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore, thereinto, thereof, thereon, thereto, theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, thereupon, therewith, therewithal
- (‘where-’ words) where; whereabout, whereabouts, whereafter, whereagainst, whereamong, whereas, whereat, whereby, wherefore, wherefrom, wherein, whereinafter, whereinbefore, whereinto, whereof, whereon, whereto, wheretofore, whereunder, whereunto, whereupon, wherewith, wherewithal