From Middle English therfore, therfor, tharfore, thorfore; synchronically a univerbation of there (pronomial adverb) + for, literally “for that (reason)”. The spelling has been changed due to a reanalysis as there + fore (literally “forward from that; thence”). See also therefor, ultimately the same formation.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈðɛəfɔː/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈðɛəɹfɔɹ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛə(ɹ)fɔː(ɹ)
- Hyphenation: there‧fore
therefore (not comparable)
- (conjunctive) For that or this purpose, referring to something previously stated.
- (conjunctive) Consequently, by or in consequence of that or this cause; referring to something previously stated.
- Traditional values will always have a place, therefore they will never lose relevance.
- 1897 December (indicated as 1898), Winston Churchill, chapter I, in The Celebrity: An Episode, New York, N.Y.: The Macmillan Company; London: Macmillan & Co., Ltd., OCLC 222716698:
- In the old days, to my commonplace and unobserving mind, he gave no evidences of genius whatsoever. He never read me any of his manuscripts, […] , and therefore my lack of detection of his promise may in some degree be pardoned.
- 1753, The Spectator No. 642
- He blushes; therefore he is innocent.
- (for that purpose): so, thus, to that end, to this end
- (consequently): hence, then, thus, accordingly, as a result, thereby, eo ipso, ∴ (math); See also Thesaurus:therefore
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- (about): hereabout, thereabout, whereabout
- (abouts): hereabouts, thereabouts, whereabouts
- (after): hereafter, thereafter, whereafter
- (against): thereagainst, whereagainst
- (again): thereagain
- (amongst): whereamongst
- (among): thereamong, whereamong
- (around): therearound
- (as): thereas, whereas
- (at): hereat, thereat, whereat
- (before): herebefore, therebefore
- (beside): therebeside
- (between): therebetween, wherebetween
- (by): hereby, thereby, whereby
- (fore): herefore, therefore, wherefore
- (from): herefrom, therefrom, wherefrom
- (in after): hereinafter, thereinafter, whereinafter
- (in before): hereinbefore, thereinbefore, whereinbefore
- (in): herein, therein, wherein
- (into): hereinto, thereinto, whereinto
- (of): hereof, thereof, whereof
- (on): hereon, thereon, whereon
- (tofore): heretofore, theretofore, wheretofore
- (to): hereto, thereto, whereto
- (under): hereunder, thereunder, whereunder
- (unto): hereunto, thereunto, whereunto
- (upon): hereupon, thereupon, whereupon
- (withal): herewithal, therewithal, wherewithal
- (with): herewith, therewith, wherewith