Jump to navigation Jump to search
|actually; place; (nominalisation prefix)|
to use; according to; so as to
to use; according to; so as to; in order to; by; with; because; Israel (abbrev.)
|simp. and trad.
- therefore; so; consequently
- Used in the first part of a sentence to indicate a reason that will be explained in the second part of the sentence.
Synonyms of 所以
- (literary) the means (literally, "what one uses") by which; how
- (literary) the manner in which; how
- (literary) the reason why; why
- 所以然 ― suǒyǐrán ― the reason why it is what it is
- 之所以 ― zhīsuǒyǐ ― the reason why (chiefly used between subject and predicate)
- 所以不報謝者，以為小禮無所用。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Records of the Grand Historian, by Sima Qian, circa 91 BCE
- Suǒyǐ bù bàoxiè zhě, yǐwéi xiǎo lǐ wú suǒyòng. [Pinyin]
- The reason why I have not sought to repay your favour in gratitude is that I do not believe such petty courtesy is of any use to you.
所以不报谢者，以为小礼无所用。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- (literary) proper behaviour; manners
- 蔡俊明 [Cai Junming], editor (1991) , “所以 so˥˧꜔꜒ i~˥˧꜕꜖”, in 潮州方言詞滙 (Cháozhōu fāngyán cíhuì), 香港 [Hong Kong]: 香港中文大學 [the Chinese University of Hong Kong]
|Kanji in this term|
|Grade: 3||Grade: 4|