Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Denotes a mingling or intermixing with distinct or separable objects. (See Usage Note at amidst)
How can you speak with authority about their customs when you have never lived among them?
- Denotes a belonging of a person or a thing to a group.
He is among the few who completely understand the subject.
- Denotes a sharing of a common feature in a group.
- Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us […]
Lactose intolerance is common among people of Asian heritage.
- For the comparison of among with between, see the usage notes in between.
- Many Americans view "amongst" as an archaic/Commonwealth variant, and use "among" exclusively.
mingling or intermixing
Most common English words before 1923 in Project Gutenberg: seen · better · name · #209: among · done · days · something
- Hyphenation: a‧mong