- plural of
- (fortifications, in the plural) Dispositions made to cover extended positions, and presenting a front in but one direction to an enemy.
- (shipbuilding, in the plural) Form of a vessel as shown by the outlines of vertical, horizontal, and oblique sections.
- (education, in the plural) A school punishment in which a student must repeatedly write out a line of text related to the offence (e.g. "I must be quiet in class") a specified number of times; the lines of text so written out.
- If you don't behave I'll give you lines
- I had to write out 200 lines
- (US, in the plural) The reins with which a horse is guided by his driver.
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of line
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.