Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 German
- 4 Italian
- 5 Latin
- (usually with "from") Exempt; not subject to.
1922, Michael Arlen, “2/9/1”, in “Piracy”: A Romantic Chronicle of These Days:
- He had always been remarkably immune from such little ailments, and had only once in his life been ill, of a vicious pneumonia long ago at school. He hadn't the faintest idea what to with a cold in the head, he just took quinine and continued to blow his nose.
As a diplomat, you are immune from prosecution.
- (medicine, usually with "to") Protected by inoculation, or due to innate resistance to pathogens.
I am immune to chicken pox.
- (by extension) Not vulnerable.
Alas, he was immune to my charms.
- (medicine) Of or pertaining to the immune system.
2013 May-June, Katrina G. Claw, “Rapid Evolution in Eggs and Sperm”, in American Scientist, volume 101, number 3:
- Many genes with reproductive roles also have antibacterial and immune functions, which indicate that the threat of microbial attack on the sperm or egg may be a major influence on rapid evolution during reproduction.
We examined the patient's immune response.
exempt from inclusion
protected due to innate resistance to pathogens
of or pertaining to the immune system
immune (plural immunes)
- (epidemiology) A person who is not susceptible to infection by a particular disease
1965, Rene J. Dubos & James G. Hirsch, editors, Bacterial and Mycotic Infections of Man, page 742:
- Susceptibles effectively exposed to cases become cases in the next time period; cases recovering from the infection accumulate as immunes.
- (rare, transitive) To make immune.
- Thomas Hardy
- In the seventies those who met me did not know / Of the vision / That immuned me from the chillings of mis-prision […]
- 1905, American Veterinary Medical Association, Journal (volume 29, page 42)
- The utilization of such milk will, however, necessitate an adaptable milk preservation method, through which the immuning agents will not be destroyed or diminished.
- Thomas Hardy
immune (masculine and feminine plural immunes)
- inflected form of
immune (masculine and feminine plural immuni)