Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 German
- 4 Italian
- 5 Latin
- (usually with "from") Exempt; not subject to.
- 1922, Michael Arlen, “2/9/1”, in “Piracy”: A Romantic Chronicle of These Days:
- He had always been remarkably immune from such little ailments, and had only once in his life been ill, of a vicious pneumonia long ago at school. He hadn't the faintest idea what to with a cold in the head, he just took quinine and continued to blow his nose.
- As a diplomat, you are immune from prosecution.
- (medicine, usually with "to") Protected by inoculation, or due to innate resistance to pathogens.
- I am immune to chicken pox.
- (by extension) Not vulnerable.
- Alas, he was immune to my charms.
- (medicine) Of or pertaining to the immune system.
- 2013 May-June, Katrina G. Claw, “Rapid Evolution in Eggs and Sperm”, in American Scientist, volume 101, number 3:
- Many genes with reproductive roles also have antibacterial and immune functions, which indicate that the threat of microbial attack on the sperm or egg may be a major influence on rapid evolution during reproduction.
- We examined the patient's immune response.
exempt from inclusion
protected due to innate resistance to pathogens
of or pertaining to the immune system
immune (plural immunes)
- (epidemiology) A person who is not susceptible to infection by a particular disease
- 1965, Rene J. Dubos & James G. Hirsch, editors, Bacterial and Mycotic Infections of Man, page 742:
- Susceptibles effectively exposed to cases become cases in the next time period; cases recovering from the infection accumulate as immunes.
- (rare, transitive) To make immune.
- Thomas Hardy
- In the seventies those who met me did not know / Of the vision / That immuned me from the chillings of mis-prision […]
- 1905, American Veterinary Medical Association, Journal (volume 29, page 42)
- The utilization of such milk will, however, necessitate an adaptable milk preservation method, through which the immuning agents will not be destroyed or diminished.
- Thomas Hardy
immune (masculine and feminine plural immunes)
- inflection of :
- Rhymes: -une
immune (masculine and feminine plural immuni)