Jump to navigation Jump to search
lawman (plural lawmen)
- (law, historical) A lawspeaker: a declarer of the law.
- (law, historical) One of 12 magistrates in certain Danish boroughs of England empowered with soc and sac over their own households.
- (law, Orkney and Shetland) The presiding justice of the supreme court.
- (rare) A man of the law: a lawyer.
- (informal) An officer of the law: a law-enforcement officer.
- (speaker of the law): lawspeaker
- (medieval Dano-English magistrates): lageman, lagman
- (Orcadian & Shetlandic chief justice): lawman-general, lagman
- (law-enforcement officer): See Thesaurus:police officer
a medieval Dano-English magistrate
lawyer — see lawyer
an officer of the law
- ^ Oxford English Dictionary, 1st ed. "lawman, n." Oxford University Press (Oxford), 1902.