Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The act of limiting or the state of being limited.
- A restriction; a boundary, real or metaphorical, caused by some thing or some circumstance.
- Getting into his wheelchair after his amputation, it felt like a limitation you could roll in.
- He understood the exam material, but his fear was a limitation he could not overcome.
- 1962 December, “The Oxted Line diesel-electric multiple-units”, in Modern Railways, page 383:
- The coaches are similar to those of the Hampshire diesel-electric units, which went into service in September, 1957, but have 8ft 6in wide bodies, instead of 9ft, because of loading gauge limitations on the South Eastern Division.
- An imperfection or shortcoming that limits something's use or value.
- 2018, Clarence Green; James Lambert, “Position vectors, homologous chromosomes and gamma rays: Promoting disciplinary literacy through Secondary Phrase Lists”, in English for Specific Purposes, DOI:10.1016/j.esp.2018.08.004, page 5:
- Both the MI score and the t-score have their limitations. MI computes a logarithm representing the number of co-occurrences of words compared to their occurrences apart in the corpus, which can highlight rare collocations if the components tend not to occur with other words. The t-score formula is less susceptible to this but its numerical result cannot be meaningfully compared across corpora of different sizes.
- (law) A time period after which some legal action may no longer be brought.
- The lawyer obtained impunity by dragging his obviously guilty client's case beyond the ten-year limitation.
- (time period): prescription
act of limiting
restriction that limits
imperfection which limits
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- limitation at OneLook Dictionary Search
limitation f (plural limitations)
- limitation (action of limiting) [from 1304]
- Antonym: illimitation
- traité de limitation des armements ― arms limitation treaty
- Il a obtenu un congé sans aucune limitation de temps. ― He obtained leave without any time limit.