Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ləʊˈkeɪt/, /ləˈkeɪt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈloʊkeɪt/, /loʊˈkeɪt/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪt
- Hyphenation: lo‧cate
- (transitive) To place; to set in a particular spot or position.
- B. F. Westcott
- The captives and emigrants whom he brought with him were located in the trans-Tiberine quarter.
- B. F. Westcott
- (transitive) To find out where something is located.
- 2013 May-June, Kevin Heng, “Why Does Nature Form Exoplanets Easily?”, in American Scientist, volume 101, number 3, page 184:
- In the past two years, NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope has located nearly 3,000 exoplanet candidates ranging from sub-Earth-sized minions to gas giants that dwarf our own Jupiter. Their densities range from that of styrofoam to iron.
- 1920, Mary Roberts Rinehart; Avery Hopwood, chapter I, in The Bat: A Novel from the Play (Dell Book; 241), New York, N.Y.: Dell Publishing Company, OCLC 20230794, page 01:
- The Bat—they called him the Bat. […]. He […] played a lone hand, […]. Most lone wolves had a moll at any rate—women were their ruin—but if the Bat had a moll, not even the grapevine telegraph could locate her.
- (transitive) To designate the site or place of; to define the limits of (Note: the designation may be purely descriptive: it need not be prescriptive.)
- The council must locate the new hospital
- to locate a mining claim
- to locate (the land granted by) a land warrant
- Herbert Spencer
- That part of the body in which the sense of touch is located.
- (intransitive, colloquial) To place oneself; to take up one's residence; to settle.
- (Can we add an example for this sense?)
to place; to set in a particular spot or position
designate the site or place of
(intransitive) to place oneself; to take up one's residence; to settle
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked