Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK, rare) Alternative form of
- I was loth to return to the office without the Henderson file.
- Often confused in meaning and pronunciation with loathe.
- The loath spelling is about four times more common in the UK and about fifty times more common in the US.
- This spelling had more currency in the US in the 19th century, appearing in Webster's 1828 dictionary, but not the 1913 edition.
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:loth.
reluctant — see loath
- hateful, evil