Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈmɪdlɪŋ/, /ˈmɪdl̩ɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈmɪd(ə)lɪŋ/
- Hyphenation: mid‧dl‧ing
middling (not comparable)
- Of intermediate or average size, position, or quality; mediocre.
The football team is never the worst or best in its league; its position is always middling.
2012 July 12, Sam Adams, “Ice Age: Continental Drift”, in The A.V. Club, archived from the original on 25 March 2014:
- The matter of whether the world needs a fourth Ice Age movie pales beside the question of why there were three before it, but [Ice Age:] Continental Drift feels less like an extension of a theatrical franchise than an episode of a middling TV cartoon, lolling around on territory that's already been settled.
- (colloquial, regional Britain) In fairly good health.
of intermediate or average quality
- (colloquial, regional Britain) Fairly, moderately, somewhat.
- (colloquial, regional Britain) Not too badly, with modest success.
middling (plural middlings)
- Something of intermediate or average size, position, or quality.