Jump to navigation Jump to search
- mignonnette (obsolete)
mignonette (plural mignonettes)
- A plant, Reseda odorata, having greyish-green flowers with orange-coloured stamens, and exhaling a delicious fragrance. In Africa it is a low shrub, but further north it is usually an annual herb. [from early 18th c.]
- 1834, Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Francesca Carrara, volume 2, page 2:
- After amusing herself for a brief time with picking to pieces some mignonette which filled a box on the window-sill, Marie threw the flowers from her, and exclaimed,—"And here we are seated together, as we used to talk away half the night in Italy. Good Heavens! how we are altered!"
- A mignonette tree (Lawsonia inermis), source of the dye henna.
- A mignonette vine
- A greyish-green colour, like that of the flowers of the plant.
the plant Reseda odorata
- Of a greyish-green colour, like that of the flowers of the plant.
mignonette f (plural mignonettes)
- Alternative form of