Jump to navigation Jump to search
misanthrope (plural misanthropes)
- One who hates all mankind; one who hates the human race.
- 1834, Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Francesca Carrara, volume 1, page 50:
- I cannot love evergreens—they are the misanthropes of nature. To them the spring brings no promise, the autumn no decline; they are cut off from the sweetest of all ties with their kind—sympathy.
one who hates all mankind
- misanthropy (hatred of humans)
- misandry (hatred of males)
- misogyny (hatred of females)
- misopedia (hatred of children)
- philanthropy (love of humans)
- philandry (love of males)
- philogyny (love of females)
- philopedia (love of children)
- Timonist (bitter misanthrope)
- xenophobe (fearer—less commonly, hater—of foreigners)