Jump to navigation Jump to search
Apocopic form of
neg (plural negs)
- (debating) Clipping of .
neg (not comparable)
- (Britain slang) Deliberately annoy, irritate.
- (transitive, seduction community) To express or imply a negative value judgement of someone to make them desire one's approval, especially when trying to pick up a date.
- 2011 December 16, Knoll, Jessica, “The Surprising Reasons He Turns You Down For Sex”, in Cosmopolitan:
- Women, on the other hand, are wired to believe that men are always ready to reach home base and never turn down a booty opportunity. So when he negs you, it seems unnatural, and you may worry that something’s wrong with your relationship.
- 2001 January 18, traction_free, “Negging”, in alt.seduction.fast, Usenet, message-ID <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
- I mean, the thing is, overall you want the chick to feel good about herself around you and because of you. It's true that good negging really helps that, but bad negging--negging where she's already insecure--can kill it.
- (nonstandard, Internet slang, transitive) To leave negative feedback in a reputation tracking system.
- I negged the seller who didn't send me the widget I paid for.
- 2003 June 2, Griffith, Jim, The Official eBay Bible, New York: Gotham Books, →ISBN, OL 8866306M, page 71:
- It is important to leave feedback to warn others in serious situations, but it is also smart to consider the long-term consequences of racking up lots of negatives because you ‘negged’ someone over a small oversight or a misunderstanding over a three-dollar item.
neg (plural negs)
- (seduction community) An expression or implication that one has a negative value judgement of someone in order to make them desire one's approval, especially when trying to pick up a date.
- 2005, Strauss, Neil, The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists, Text Publishing Company, →ISBN, OL 8777451M, pages 20-21:
- The purpose of a neg is to lower a woman's self esteem while actively displaying a lack of interest in her—by telling her she has lipstick on her teeth, for example, or offering her a piece of gum after she speaks.
- 2011, Benton Miller; Travis Wolfe, The Journal: Man's Quest for the Perfect Match, Moon Planet Publishing, page 104:
- As we sped down Lake Michigan Drive, I was still feeling a little star-struck and decided that on account of her uber-hot looks, I'd need to start launching negs at her like there was no tomorrow.
neg n (singular definite neget, plural indefinite neg)
- sheaf (bundle of grain or straw)
Declension of neg
neg m (plural negi)
- Nasal mutation of .
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every|
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.