Jump to navigation Jump to search
|← 7||8||9 →|
| Cardinal: eight|
Ordinal: eighth, ogdo-
Latinate ordinal: octonary
Multiplier: octuple, eightfold
Collective: octad, eightsome
Number of musicians: octet
octet (plural octets)
- A group or set of eight of something.
- (music) A group of eight musicians performing together.
- An octet of waiters sang her "Happy Birthday".
- (music) A composition for such a group of musicians.
- (computing) A byte of eight bits. Abbreviation: o
- Synonym: byte
- (computing, rare) A group of three bits, representing any of eight possible values.
- 2003, Nitesh Dhanjani, Linux and UNIX security portable reference:
- This is done by breaking down each set of permissions (user, group, and other) to represent an octet.
group of eight
group of eight musicians performing together
composition for such a group
byte of eight bits — see byte
- octet on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- “octet”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
octet m (plural octets)
- o (abbreviation)
- “octet” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
octet m (plural octeți)
Declension of octet