Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 English
- 2 French
- 3 Romanian
- Rhymes: -ɛt
octet (plural octets)
- A group or set of eight of something.
- (music) A group of eight musicians performing together.
- An octet of waiters sang her "Happy Birthday".
- (music) A composition for such a group of musicians.
- (computing) A byte of eight bits. Abbreviation: o
- (computing, rare) A group of three bits, representing any of eight possible values.
- 2003, Nitesh Dhanjani, Linux and UNIX security portable reference:
- This is done by breaking down each set of permissions (user, group, and other) to represent an octet.
- (group of eight): octad, octonary; ogdoad (chiefly Greek and Egyptian contexts); octuplet (particularly babies); nundine, nundines (8-day week)
- (computing: 8-bit byte): byte
group of eight
group of eight musicians performing together
composition for such a group
byte of eight bits — see byte
octet m (plural octets)
- o (abbreviation)
- “octet” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
octet m (plural octeți)