Jump to navigation Jump to search
|← 7||8||9 →|
| Cardinal: eight|
Latinate ordinal: octonary
Adverbial: eight times
Latinate multiplier: octuple
Multiuse collective: octuplet
Greek or Latinate collective: octad
Greek collective prefix: octo-, octa-
Latinate collective prefix: octo-
Latinate fractional prefix: octant-
Greek prefix: ogdo-
Number of musicians: octet
Number of years: octennium
octet (plural octets)
- A group or set of eight of something.
- (music) A group of eight musicians performing together.
- An octet of waiters sang her "Happy Birthday".
- (music) A composition for such a group of musicians.
- (computing) A byte of eight bits. Abbreviation: o
- Synonym: byte
- (computing, rare) A group of three bits, representing any of eight possible values.
- 2003, Nitesh Dhanjani, Linux and UNIX security portable reference:
- This is done by breaking down each set of permissions (user, group, and other) to represent an octet.
- octennium (years)
group of eight
group of eight musicians performing together
composition for such a group
byte of eight bits — see byte
rare: byte of three bits
- octet on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- “octet”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–2022.
octet m (plural octets)
- “octet”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
octet m (plural octeți)
Declension of octet
- octet in DEX online - Dicționare ale limbii române (Dictionaries of the Romanian language)
- English terms derived from Latin
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/ɛt/2 syllables
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with usage examples
- English terms with rare senses
- English terms with quotations
- French 2-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French terms with audio links
- French lemmas
- French nouns
- French countable nouns
- French masculine nouns
- Romanian terms with IPA pronunciation
- Romanian lemmas
- Romanian nouns
- Romanian countable nouns
- Romanian masculine nouns