Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from of biblical proportions)
See also: Biblical
- Of or relating to the Bible.
- Tithing is both a quranic and biblical virtue.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 3, in The China Governess:
- Sepia Delft tiles surrounded the fireplace, their crudely drawn Biblical scenes in faded cyclamen blending with the pinkish pine, while above them, instead of a mantelshelf, there was an archway high enough to form a balcony with slender balusters and a tapestry-hung wall behind.
- In accordance with the teachings of the Bible (according to some interpretation of it).
- The biblical teaching is that […]
- biblical morality
- 2023 February 16, Chris McGreal, quoting Mike Pompeo, “Pompeo says Israel has biblical claim to Palestine and is ‘not an occupying nation’”, in The Guardian, →ISSN:
- Mike Pompeo, the former US secretary of state, has defended Israel’s decades-long control of the Palestinian territories by claiming that the Jewish state has a biblical claim to the land and is therefore not occupying it.
- (figurative) Very great; especially, exceeding previous records in scale.
- of biblical proportions
- with biblical fury
- 1998 February 22, Walter Kirn, “The Wages of Righteousness”, in The New York Times:
- Russell Banks's “Cloudsplitter,” a novel of near-biblical proportions about the abolitionist freedom fighter John Brown, is shaped like an explosive with an exceedingly long and winding fuse.
- 2023 February 14, Damian Carrington, quoting António Guterres, “Rising seas threaten ‘mass exodus on a biblical scale’, UN chief warns”, in The Guardian, →ISSN:
- An increase in the pace at which sea levels are rising threatens “a mass exodus of entire populations on a biblical scale”, the UN secretary general has warned.
For quotations using this term, see Citations:biblical.
- biblic (archaic)
- evangelic, pentateuchal, psalmic, Torahic
- New Testament, Old Testament (attributive, rarely New Testamental, Old Testamental)
- (by sources of faith) apostolic, conciliar, ex cathedra, Mishnaic, Rabbinic, Talmudic, traditional
- (by religions) Avestan, Qur'anic, Vedic
of or relating to the Bible
in accordance with the teachings of the Bible
very great, exceeding previous records
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.