Jump to navigation Jump to search
posit (plural posits)
- (for meaning #2) Started by USAF Fighter pilots when needing to know the position of a wingman. I.e. Lead pilot would say "2-posit" and #2 would reply: "5 o'clock high".
- Assume the existence of; to postulate.
- Propose for consideration or study; to suggest.
- Put (something somewhere) firmly; to place or position.
- 2014, James Lambert, “Diachronic stability in Indian English lexis”, in World Englishes, page 113:
- Among many Indians, however, an exonormative view, which even today posits British English as the target model, appears to be firmly in place.