- (idiomatic) To connect (a telephone caller with intended callee).
- Please hold the line a moment while I put you through to the sales office.
- (idiomatic) to cause to endure
- After all the grief my wife has put me through, I wonder why I'm still with her.
- (transitive, soccer) To pass the ball to (someone) giving them a one-on-one scoring opportunity.
- 2011 February 1, Mandeep Sanghera, “Man Utd 3 - 1 Aston Villa”, in BBC:
- Friedel again had to save as he parried a Patrice Evra shot before gathering the ball after the left-back had been put through by Ryan Giggs.
to connect (telephoning)