Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A thing that is the most perfect example of its type; the most perfect embodiment of something; epitome, prototype.
- A pure substance.
- The essence of a thing in its purest and most concentrated form.
- (alchemy) The fifth alchemical element, or essence, after earth, air, fire, and water
- (physics) A hypothetical form of dark energy postulated to explain observations of an accelerating universe.
- See also Wikisaurus:model
most perfect example of its type
essence in its most pure and concentrated form
- quintessence in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- “quintessence” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001–2017.
- “quintessence” in Dictionary.com Unabridged: Dictionary.com, LLC, 1995–.
quintessence f (plural quintessences)
- quintessence (all senses)