Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɹeɪndɪə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɹeɪndɪɹ/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Hyphenation: rein‧deer
reindeer (plural reindeers or reindeer)
- An arctic and subarctic-dwelling deer of the species Rangifer tarandus, with a number of subspecies.
1768, D[aniel] Fenning, “LAPLAND”, in The Royal English Dictionary; or, A Treasury of the English Language, 3rd improved edition, London: Printed for R. Baldwin, Hawes and Co., T. Caslon, S. Crowder, J. Johnson, Wilson and Fell, Robinson and Roberts, and B. Collins, OCLC 22419759:
- Here is a prodigious number of wild beaſts, as ſtags, bears, wolves, foxes of various colours, martens, hares, glittens, beavers, otters, elk, and rein deer: the latter is leſs than a stag.
2013 March, Nancy Langston, “Mining the Boreal North”, in American Scientist, volume 101, number 2, archived from the original on 13 April 2016, page 98:
- Reindeer are well suited to the taiga’s frigid winters. They can maintain a thermogradient between body core and the environment of up to 100 degrees, in part because of insulation provided by their fur, and in part because of counter-current vascular heat exchange systems in their legs and nasal passages.