Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The act of retarding or delaying; hindrance.
- The extent to which anything is retarded; the result of any retarding or delay; mental, social, or physical slowness.
- (colloquial, derogatory, offensive) Extreme stupidity.
- That which retards; an obstacle; an obstruction.
- (physics) Deceleration; reduction in the magnitude of velocity.
- 1960 April, “The braking of trains”, in Trains Illustrated, page 237:
- [...] the effect is automatically to select a braking force which is higher at above 40 m.p.h., in the initial stages of retardation, but is reduced as the speed falls below 40 m.p.h.
- (music) A suspension which resolves upwards.