retinaculum (plural retinacula)
- (anatomy) A connecting band.
- the retinacula of the ileocaecal and ileocolic valves
- (anatomy) One of the annular ligaments which hold the tendons close to the bones at the larger joints, as at the wrist and ankle.
- (zoology) One of the retractor muscles of the proboscis of certain worms.
- (zoology) A loop on the underside of the forewing of some moths.
- (botany) A small gland or process to which bodies are attached; as, the glandular retinacula to which the pollinia of orchids are attached, or the hooks which support the seeds in many acanthaceous plants.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.