Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
rookie (plural rookies)
- An inexperienced recruit, especially in the police or armed forces.
- A novice.
- An athlete either new to the sport or to a team or in his first year of professional competition, especially said of baseball, basketball, hockey and American football players.
- (Britain) A type of firecracker, used by farmers to scare rooks.
an inexperienced recruit
- non-professional; amateur
- The game was going well until I made that rookie mistake.
- the rookiest of rookie mistakes
amateur — see amateur
rookie m, f (plural rookies)