Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: run off
Audio (US) (file)
- That portion of precipitation or irrigation on an area which does not infiltrate or evaporate, but instead is discharged from the area.
- Dissolved chemicals, etc, included in such water.
- The runoff of nitrates is poisoning the lake.
- A second or further round of an indecisive election, after other candidates (often all but the last two) have been eliminated,
- There will now be a runoff as neither front runner received more than 50% of the vote.
2012 April 23, Angelique Chrisafis, “François Hollande on top but far right scores record result in French election”, in the Guardian:
- It is one of the left's best ever results and will raise momentum for next month's final runoff where only the two candidates will compete against each other.
portion of precipitation or irrigation which does not infiltrate
second or further round of an indecisive election