Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Shears
- plural of
- (plural only) A tool consisting of two blades with bevel edges, connected by a pivot, used for cutting cloth, or for removing the fleece from sheep etc
- (engineering) The bedpiece of a machine tool, upon which a table or slide rest is secured.
- the shears of a lathe or planer
- An apparatus for raising heavy weights, and especially for stepping and unstepping the lower masts of ships. It consists of two or more spars or pieces of timber, fastened together near the top, steadied by a guy or guys, and furnished with the necessary tackle. Also sheers.
- The tool was once used in the singular.
tool consisting of two blades with bevel edges
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of shear