Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Fleece
- (uncountable) Hair or wool of a sheep or similar animal
- (uncountable) Insulating skin with the wool attached
- (countable) A textile similar to velvet, but with a longer pile that gives it a softness and a higher sheen.
- (countable) An insulating wooly jacket
- (roofing) Mat or felts composed of fibers, sometimes used as a membrane backer.
- Any soft woolly covering resembling a fleece.
- The fine web of cotton or wool removed by the doffing knife from the cylinder of a carding machine.
hair or wool of a sheep
insulating skin with the wool attached
insulating wooly jacket
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- to con or trick someone out of money
- There is a difference between bookmaking, an entirely respectable profession, and fleecing people, which isn’t.
- to shear the fleece from an animal (such as a sheep)
- During spring shearing we have to fleece all the sheep in just a few days.
to con or trick someone out of money
to shear the fleece
- (con): nickel and dime
- Alternative spelling of
|Inflection of fleece (Kotus type 8/nalle, no gradation)|
- As is the case with many loanwords, the inflection of this term is problematic. Kotus recommends "nalle" - category in writing, as shown above, but in speech the declension usually follows "risti" -category, see the declension table for fliisi.