Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈslɛd͡ʒhæmə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈslɛd͡ʒhæmɚ/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Hyphenation: sledge‧ham‧mer
sledgehammer (plural sledgehammers)
- A hammer that consists of a large, heavy, broad and flat block of metal (the head) attached to a handle typically 0.5 meter to 1 meter long. The sledgehammer's design is meant to allow it to be swung powerfully, and to distribute force over a wide area upon impact.
kind of hammer
- (transitive) To strike (something) with a sledgehammer.
- 2009 February 22, Jane And Michael Stern, “Nirvana Express”, in New York Times:
- She’s trying to piece together shards of precious pottery gleefully sledgehammered by a delegation led by the Taliban’s minister of culture, who deemed the world’s greatest collection of Central Asian artifacts un-Islamic.