Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Somma
Named after Mount Somma, a stratovolcano in southern Italy with a summit caldera in which the upper cone of Mount Vesuvius has grown.
somma (plural sommas)
- (geology) A volcanic caldera that has been partially filled by a new central cone.
- 2013, John P. Lockwood, Richard W. Hazlett, Volcanoes: Global Perspectives:
- Eventually, a renewed edifice may grow large enough even to bury its somma, or sommas, completely, leaving no clue in its shape to a history of former catastrophe(s).
somma f (plural somme)
- sum, amount
- addition, sum
- Synonym: addizione
- gist, essence, sum, conclusion
- summit, pinnacle, top, peak (the highest point)
- A learned exposition, typically theological or philosophical