Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA(key): /ˈspɪ.ɡət/, /ˈspɪ.kət/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- Homophone: spicket (occasionally)
- Rhymes: -ɪɡət, -ɪkɪt
spigot (plural spigots)
- A pin or peg used to stop the vent in a cask.
- The plug of a faucet, tap or cock.
- (US, especially Appalachia) A water tap: a faucet or sillcock.
a pin or peg used to stop the vent in a cask
the plug of a faucet or cock
faucet — see tap
- (transitive) To block with a spigot.
- 2002, Phoenix Project: Environmental Impact Statement, pages 2–31:
- Once a beach has been formed, spigoting would focus on directing the reclaim water pool toward the reclaim barge pumps.
- (transitive) To insert (a spigot).
- 1956, The Automobile Engineer, volume 46, page 118:
- Location of the cylinders is, of course, effected by spigoting their lower ends into the holes in the crankcase. Similarly, the cylinder heads are located by spigoting the upper ends of the cylinders into them.
spigot (plural spigottes)
- wooden stopper; wooden spigot